The definition of Digital PR is a strategy used to increase awareness of your brand using online methods. Sounds obvious, right? I see a lot of confusion amongst clients and prospective clients who come to us with a need, but not actually a real understanding of the difference between digital and traditional PR methods.
To make the most impact, digital PR relies on Internet-based strategies such as search engine optimization, content marketing, influencer outreach and social media. So many brand and business owners believe they are well versed in the latter, but it’s the strategy behind the former that truly drives results. Digital PR helps you reach customers by placing your business on sites they read, and the social accounts they follow. It leads to positive reviews on Google and similar too.
Digital PR is objectives based – we have to look at it with the end in mind, and reverse engineer those results. More sales? More followers? Sales of what exactly? Followers where? Where do you send them to with any links? What do people see when they get there? Is the search and then buying process frictionless? Digital PR is so much more than a great looking feed or number of ‘likes’.
Digital PR improves your rankings online. It provides ‘social proof’ to potential customers and collaborators and is measurable. You are looking for high-quality backlinks, social media mentions and to improve their Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – it’s the digital PR element that even Google search advocates count as more ‘critical’ than technical SEO itself.
So, here’s where Digital PR can help you grow your brand or business:
- Increase search traffic – Intelligent content and website improvements help dramatically.
- Increase sales & reduce costs – Targeting top-level keywords and writing ads more effectively can reduce your cost of conversions and increase sales.
- High quality backlinks – These can be gained from a well written press release
- Affiliates – Affiliate schemes can increase both revenue and exposure to your brand or business.
- Syndication of content – Created something worth sharing? An infographic or creative use of survey/data can be picked up internationally with the right angle.
- Generate leads – A true digital PR strategy will put your business in front of your ideal paying client.
- Measurement – Unlike print based PR, everything digital is measurable, and getting to know your Google analytics better will help you to know what is working and where to double down on your efforts.
Want to know about Digital or Traditional PR and how it can help your business? Get in Touch with TishTash Marketing and Public Relations, a leading independent PR and Marketing Agency in the Middle East and winner of PRCA Medium Consultancy of the year 2021.
Natasha Hatherall, CEO and Founder of TishTash Marketing and Public Relations