As gyms and health clubs are shut across the country, you may be left feeling a little hopeless about maintaining a fitness routine during quarantine and it might seem a challenge to remain physically active.
The good news is that there’s still plenty of online options that can help you break a sweat from the comfort of your own home. These include fitness apps and YouTube workout videos.
To create and maintain an effective fitness routine at home, we’ve put together a few tips:
5 Tips to Stay Physically Active During Self-Quarantine
- Know Your Goals: Determine what you want to get out of your home workout, this will factor into the style and length of the workouts you choose to do.
- Establish a Schedule: Look at a planner and write out your exercise timings in advance to keep you self-motivated and in a routine. Create a consistent schedule, just how you would when going to the gym and apply the same logic to the home workouts as this will help you build a regular routine. The key is ‘consistency’ to see results at home.
- Create a Workout Space: Setting up a mini gym in the corner of a room or in a designated space is a great way to make sure you get the most of at home workouts. A space that will have everything you need in one spot and most workouts can all be done on a yoga mat so find a space where you can roll one out.
- Follow an Online Exercise Class: Take advantage of the wealth of online exercise classes available, many which are free and can be found on YouTube or Instagram pages, Facebook and live streaming. This can include bodyweight sessions, classes with kids, tips to stay healthy and 30-minute workout sessions.
- Find an Exercise Partner: Workouts are always fun with a partner! Arrange workout sessions with a friend over Zoom to allow you to virtually do the exercise together, thus allowing you to feel more motivated to stay committed to your routine and reap the benefits.